Welcome to South West House Surveys
House Surveys are specialist pre-purchase surveyors with over three decades of experience serving clients in Bristol, Swindon, South Wales and the surrounding area. We utilise our expertise and wealth of experience in the industry to provide accurate surveys on both residential and commercial properties.
As building surveyors with over 30 years of professional experience, House Surveys are capable of conducting thorough and meticulous surveys that can pinpoint any outstanding issues a property may have.
We adhere to the strict guidelines as set down by the RCIS, so you can be sure that every aspect of a property will be explored in great detail. We strive to carry out our surveys within three days of being contacted and aim to submit our detailed reports within a week
Building Surveyor Bristol
Why choose us for your survey?
We can carry out Home-Buyers Surveys & Valuations on most properties, more detailed Building Surveys on properties that are old or have been altered, or limited inspections to discuss specific defects. Please refer to the attached web-pages for details of the type of surveys available and how to select the appropriate type for your proposed purchase.
How do we charge?
Fees are by prior agreement, based upon the size, age and location of the property.
Fees quoted are fixed, include vat and are not subject to the addition of extras. We will make the inspection as soon as possible and your report will be released on receipt of your payment.
Why have a survey
Your mortgage lender will commission a valuation, a copy of which is likely to be made available to you, but it is only a valuation to ensure that the loan is adequately secured upon the house, it is not a condition survey.
Sadly, many people take more care buying a used car than buying a house. They will check the log book and the service history, take it for a test drive, most likely be covered by a 12-month warranty and take out a finance agreement for a year or three. By comparison, most mortgages are for terms of up to 25 years, a house will not be covered by a warranty, it will require regular maintenance to keep it in good condition and many houses will require initial expenditure soon after purchase to put right existing defects. There is no recourse to the purchaser if defects come to light and in some cases the property will be uninhabitable while repairs & improvements are undertaken.
Expert Building Surveyor Services in Bristol
Consider the following:
- Are the cracks in the front wall normal thermal cracking that can be ignored, or do they indicate structural movement?
- The trees look great, but are they likely to affect the foundations? Will you be liable if they damage the neighbour’s house?
- Is the damp stain on the dining room wall rising damp, dry rot, or only a tea-stain?
- So the house has white plastic lights and sockets, but is the cabling potentially dangerous two-core, or has it been botched in the loft?
- The wood windows look good, but has the vendor filled the rot and painted it over?
- Many old houses have been re-roofed, but have the new (heavier) concrete tiles over-loaded the old roof structure, causing it to become unsound?
- Do the drains work, or are they blocked?
- The old ceilings are cracked, but do they need replacing?
- Can you afford to take the risk?
- Can you afford NOT to have a survey?